Thursday, December 29, 2011

How to Include Quinoa Seeds in Home Baking Recipes

How to Include Quinoa Seeds in Home Baking Recipes

There are many ways of including quinoa in your diet but one of the more unusual is to include it in baking. As far as I am aware this technique has been devised by me and I have never heard of anyone else using quinoa in this way. I stumbled upon it when looking for inspiration to spice up a simple cookie recipe I was about to make that had too much fat in it.

I wanted to reduce the fat content of this particular cookie recipe as I was trying to reduce fat in my diet at the time. The fat in the recipe was butter but I realized that quinoa seeds have oil in them so could be substituted for part of the butter.

The first thing to do is prepare the quinoa in the normal way using 1 part quinoa to 2 parts water. You bring it to the boils and simmer for about 15 minutes. You can cook it for less but for baking you need it to be quite soft to blend in with the other ingredients. The quinoa must absorb all the water as you do not want extra liquid in the mix. I there is remaining liquid turn the heat up to full and boil it off for a minute.

You reduce the butter content by half and slightly reduce the flour amount as well. you simple replace them with the same amount of prepared quinoa in the mix. The cooking time is the same as the normal recipe but you get a crunchier texture and taste to the cookies.

I have used this cooking method for cookies, biscuits and scones. It can take a little trial and error to get the proportions correct. It is a good way to reduce processed fats in recipes. The oil part of the quinoa works to replace the butter and the germ part replaces some of the flour. It is a bit of a balancing act but you will get it with practice

How to Include Quinoa Seeds in Home Baking Recipes

0 comments:

Post a Comment